Saturday, August 11, 2012

Very Little!

     So this week was not that exciting.  Made a few more trips to the Orthodontist, got to go to the Orthodontist appreciation party last night at the pool in Lindon, Utah and this morning was the Alpine Day's parade.  It was also the annual Alpine 5K this morning and I decided I'd give it a whirl along with Mark.  My very first race of any kind and I feel pretty good about it.  I actually enjoy jogging and exercising but I've never had any desire to compete.  I'm very good on my own.  I do walk with my friend regularly but we only walk.  She has bad ankles and walking is good enough for her.  We do walk pretty fast and do a lot of hills and other exercises in between so I feel pretty good about my calorie burn each day.  So in preparation for this 5K I thought I should at least jog a few times this past week and make sure I would be ok and I did ok but never ran a complete three miles without stopping to walk a couple times.  My shins would BURN the first mile or so and I had no choice but to walk it off.  But today, first thing in the morning I felt great and I jogged the entire 3 miles without having to stop and my shins weren't bad at all.  I definitely think my body prefers morning exercise to evening but both isn't bad either. 
     So I finished in just a little over 31 minutes, which isn't too bad for not being well trained and Mark just barely beat me at 31 minutes excactly.  I would have beat him but he had enough energy to sprint at the end and I did NOT.
    Here's us after the race.
   So that's about it.  Our parade this morning was pretty good.  They had an extra amount of fire and rescue vehicles on the parade route as a tribute to all those who helped fight the fire on the mountain which was pretty cool and our ward had a cool float with flags representing all 27 different missions that we have Elder's serving in from our ward.  The rest of the afternoon we're hoping to catch a glimpse of some of the bike riders from the Tour of Utah that will be riding through Alpine in just an hour or so. 
    Only a week left of this summer vacation and lets hope we can find something to do to make it memorable.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Way to go Mark and Shirley! I think you should totally compete with the running Shirley. With how much you exercise...you could kick some major booty! Look out next olympics! You think I'm kidding...I'm not.