Saturday, March 23, 2013

Project #!?

          If you've ever been in my kitchen you know it's tiny and it really shrinks when we all try to congregate for meal time. The saddest part is the space, or lack of space, for a kitchen table. Greg and I have discussed this problem many a time and we have finally decided to actually do something about it.
           We've thought of several options but this is the one we landed on and hopefully it will work for a long time coming. We've decided to eliminate the table altogether and just build more counter space for the kids to eat around. We found an incredible deal on barstools and bought eight of them and last Saturday Greg started the construction of two big countertops. We used a photo of a table Greg found on Pinterest a while back as our starting point but of course he altered it to two tall countertops. The counters are nearly done Greg just has to sand them a little bit more and stain them and finish them off with some water resistant covering. I can't wait for the more open fill in my kitchen and the better use of the space. And if we ever do want the use of a table all we have to do is put those two countertops together and sit around them like a table. These extra countertops will also be great for making a buffet when we have family and friends over during the summertime and just need a place to line food up before going outside to eat.

The beginning stages after quite a bit of thinking on Greg's part. ( I guess constructing something from nothing isn't as easy as I'd thought.)
It's looking good.
Seriously, I'm convinced Greg can do practically anything I ask him to and all I really have to do is supervise and maybe nag a tiny little bit:-)
Obviously this is the rough finish but we wanted to get an idea of how they were going to fit in the kitchen.

I'm super happy with even this rough look.  And of course the shiny new stools add a little pizazz.
And the inspiration for it all is this little beauty.  (I'm sure glad Greg is such a lover of  Pinterest even if he does refuse to get his own account!)
And who can resist this little handsome helper!?
          Hopefully my new counters will be done today and I'll try to remember to post the finished photos next week.

2 comments:

Elaine Baker said...

I really like that idea and I think it's going to look great! Thanks Greg for being such a good husband to my special daughter.

Jackie said...

I think Greg can do pretty much anything. That works perfect for your kitchen. I can't wait to see them finished. Love the bar stools too.